Arbor Day is observed the last Saturday of April every year. Members of the “Regreening Greenfield” organization want to encourage reforestation, so they will be handing out free tree seedlings beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 26 at the Hancock County Courthouse Plaza.
The Arbor Day free tree seedling distribution is an annual event. Several varieties of seedlings will be available, including oak, pine, and crab apple. The free seedings are available to anyone — not only Greenfield residents.
Tips for caring for tree seedlings:
- Plant the seedling in a place with full sun and well-drained soil.
- Plant the seedling on a cool, wet day if possible to avoid shocking the roots.
- Soak the roots in a bucket of water for 3-6 hours before planting.
- Dig a hole as deep as the longest root.
- Avoid fertilizing seedlings, as it can burn the roots.
- Keep mulch from touching the trunk of the seedling. Mulch can spread tree disease.
- Water your seedling every week to 10 days for the entire first year of growth.